A 2018 study by QuoteWizard of the “Best and Worst Drivers by State” ranked Georgia as the number 15 in the country for worst drivers.
In 2018, The Athens-Clarke County Police Department identified the top 12 areas for traffic accidents in Athens-Clarke County. The downtown district was ranked number 1, followed by the Atlanta Highway at the Georgia 10 Loop, and the intersection of Atlanta Highway and Alps Road/Hawthorne Avenue. Of the 6,155 accidents reported in Athens-Clarke County, approximately 77% occurred within these top 12 areas.
Athens is home to the University of Georgia, and traffic is often worst around campus. Many of the most dangerous intersections in Athens are near the University along Carlton Street, which also passes by the Georgia Museum of Art and the Science Learning Center and intersects with South Lumpkin Street.
South Lumpkin Street is the gateway to Five Points, a popular area for eating, drinking, and studying. Busy with cars, bicyclists, and pedestrians, South Milledge Avenue and Milledge Circle can also be risky during the 5 p.m. rush hour in Five Points.
Outside of campus and Five Points, Lexington Highway can be congested and dangerous, as well, especially where it intersects with East Campus Loop and Barnett Shoals Road. Recently, there was a fatal accident at the intersection of Vincent Drive and Acadia Drive. The Athens-Clarke County Police Department ranked Lexington Road/Oconee Street at Loop 10 number 4 out of the top 12 areas for a traffic accident in Athens-Clarke County.
According to Athens-Clarke County Public Information Officer Geoffrey Gilland, distracted driving is a recurring cause of accidents in Athens.
The busy intersections above are infamous for car accidents, and many of our clients at The Law Office of Joshua W. Branch, LLC have been T-boned by drivers running red lights, texting and driving, and otherwise driving recklessly.
Safety at Intersections
Intersections are some of the most hazardous areas for drivers, and some of them (see the previous section) are particularly bad.
Nevertheless, there are some steps you can take to prioritize safety at intersections:
- Be vigilant about your surroundings – lookout for cars, bicyclists, and pedestrians, even if the light is green.
- Don’t speed through – slow down when entering intersections, even if you have the right of way.
- Keep your distance – the driver in front of you may stop abruptly for hazards you cannot yet see.
- Use your turn signals – let other drivers know if you plan to turn or change lanes and stick to the signal you choose to avoid confusion.
- Be careful – whether you need to inch up to see around parked cars or enter an intersection slowly, take your time and enter every intersection carefully.
- Remember that intersections are the most dangerous when the light changes – always stop at yellow lights if possible and watch for drivers trying to “beat the light” when your light turns green.
Practicing intersection safety can help you avoid many accidents, but some cannot be helped. Even if you enter every intersection safely, a drunk or reckless driver could speed into you with no warning.
If you are injured while in a car accident call The Athens Injury Attorney and our team at The Law Office of Joshua W. Branch, LLC so we can begin fighting for justice for you. Whether you need to recover compensation for medical bills or plan for long-term treatment, we are committed to meeting your needs.
Our firm is extensively experienced and specializes only in personal injury law and we always offer personalized, compassionate legal services.Call us at (706) 760-9220 or contact us online today to get started with a free, confidential consultation. No retainer ever, pay only when we win.